Sunday, June 23, 2013

Introducing Henry & The Forks - Summer Field Crew 2013


            So many wonderful, new, exciting things have happened since I arrived here in Idaho three weeks ago that I hardly know where to begin. I have tucked myself into a canoe before sunrise to assist with habitat surveys on the ranch portion of the Henry’s Fork River, gaining field-research skills I could never learn in a classroom. I have wrestled with trout of all sizes at the Buffalo fish ladder, discovering the incredible (and humbling) strength of these creatures so much smaller than myself. My new intern friends and I have spent days hauling the remnants of the Thurmon Creek weir through the forest, learning about the inglorious but nonetheless important side of field-research. And somehow, in the midst of all of this, 22-inch-long rainbow trout have miraculously appeared on the end of my fishing line! It has been a busy blur of summer days well spent, with plenty of learning, laughing, and country music to boot.
Arielle with her first trout: a 22-inch rainbow
            When I first accepted this internship, I had only an inkling of what this summer would hold. I knew that I would be assisting with field-research, that I would finally get to spend my summer outdoors again, and that I would be moving into a house with six other interns from across the country. Little did I know that I would be making some truly amazing new friends who share my passions for the outdoors and conservation. I also didn’t know that I would have a very hard time learning how to hold a live fish… but that with lots of kind encouragement and coaching, I would learn how to gently but deftly handle those little guys in no time. I still have much to learn out here beneath these beautiful Idaho skies, and I can’t wait to see where the next seven weeks will take me and the rest of the 2013 field crew.
            So here I am, a girl from the suburbs of New York City, writing to you from rural Idaho – and loving every moment of it. Stay tuned for more blog posts from me and the rest of Henry & The Forks (as we interns have named ourselves) as we keep you updated with stories of our summer adventures! 

Sunrise on the Henry's Fork

0 comments:

Post a Comment