Sunday, July 27, 2014

Fly Fishing In Idaho

The first time I ever attempted to fly fish I knew nothing about it. I had been taken fishing by my grandpa but never fly fishing so since I knew nothing about fly fishing the little helpful directions I received by Zach (the HFF grad student) was actually very helpful. He would shout to me "too big of a pie slice", "abrupt stops", "you're using your wrist", etc.

I thought that fly fishing was fun but that was the highest level that it reached for me. Then, Trevor (one of my fellow interns) wanted to go fishing but he was working with me so he asked me if I wanted to go fishing after we got done with work before we headed back to the house. Well I wanted to learn how to fly fish so bad because of my grandpa so I agreed. I could have never expected what happened next...

I was casting and I was casting incorrectly and my drag was wrong and I was hardly getting anything right at all but for the first time I felt the rhythm  of casting. Fly fishing suddenly (and without me realizing till later) felt soothing, meditative and calming. My thoughts and worries fled my head and I was suddenly elated. 

I think that this is what the anglers I see coming off the river must feel. The serenity of the place and the soothing nature that has become fly fishing to me. I cannot describe how I now feel toward this rewarding and peaceful activity. I am happy to say that I am hooked to this beautiful thing and plan to continue learning (as I have been throughout this summer) as much as I can. Thank you to everyone who helped me with this and continue to assist in my learning and in the learning of anyone who is a beginner. You have to be such patient people for those who pick it up so slowly.  You are continuing the legacy that is fly fishing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment